Minnie Victoria Nichols, Abingdon VA, born 1875

Post your inquiries here - brick walls, other information for which you need help.
fallingleaves3

01 Jun 2013, 01:00 #1

My great grandmother, Minnie Victoria Nichols, was born in 1875 and lived in the Abingdon, Virginia area. She was orphaned at a young age and I think I've found her in the 1880 census as adopted and living with a family named Moses. She had a brother named Jesse Lee Nichols who was living with another family at the time. I've tried to find out who her parents were and have had no luck at all. A cousin told me that the parents were killed in a buggy accident but I can't find any record of it. I'm beginning to wonder if the story of the buggy accident is what really happened to her parents. She married my great grandfather, William Albert Sult in 1890 at the age of 15.
I'm at a loss as to where to look next. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me! Image

hoosierbeth

02 Jun 2013, 14:48 #2

Well...I gotta think about this...but I just wantted you to know I saw it, and I am sure when Totie logs on today or tomorrow, she will think/check into this too!

Totie

02 Jun 2013, 19:20 #3

Do you happen to have her death cert?? I know that VA was not the greatest at requiring DCs.
"These puzzles are from life, with all the ambiguity of life's complications. They are never so easy as to insult us." - Ruth L. Douthit

Totie

02 Jun 2013, 19:22 #4

Does her brother have a death certificate? Any marriage license?
"These puzzles are from life, with all the ambiguity of life's complications. They are never so easy as to insult us." - Ruth L. Douthit

Totie

02 Jun 2013, 22:37 #5

Are you the one who posted on Ancestry.com message board about William A Sult?

fallingleaves3

03 Jun 2013, 13:58 #6

Thank you, Totie and Beth! I appreciate your help in figuring out this puzzle. I'm not the one who posted on ancestry.com but I did read the two messages some time ago. I don't believe I was ever able to connect with the person posting the message. As far as Minnie Victoria's brother, they never saw each other during their adult lives. My cousin who knew my great-grandmother well said that one of her fondest wishes was to find out what happened to her brother. I've traced him to Kansas thru census records and obituaries  but of course he's long ago passed away. I suspect there were other siblings because there are other adopted Nichols children in the census at the same time. My cousin seems to remember the adoptive family being named Hamilton but in the 1880 census she is living with a family named Moses. It could be possible that she was with more than one family or that my cousin is mistaken. There is a record of her marriage but only the names and date of marriage.
Virginia isn't very good with old records. I do a lot of research with NC ancestors and it's much better. this is a challenge and I have very little hope of ever solving it but it sure feels good to get it all down in black and white!  

Totie

03 Jun 2013, 21:36 #7

If her parents are not listed in her marriage license then I would look at her adoptive parents. Try to see if there is a maternal connection. Perhaps she is living with her Aunt, or her brother is living with another Aunt connection. I have this happen several times. One connection took me several years to figure it out. My Ida Archibald was a third cousin to my great grandmother. Ida was younger than my grgrandmother and was living with them. By tracing Ida backwards did I realize that they were connected through several maternal generations to the common ancestor John Beeson and Sarah Price. Which by the way helped me find the daughters of John and Sarah. I had gotten stuck on them too.
Do you happen to have a marriage index for Washington County for say 1870 to 1880? I would look at all possible Nichols marriages and try to narrow it down that way.

hoosierbeth

04 Jun 2013, 02:18 #8

I looked around, and figured out Minnie went by Victoria many times. I printed a map of the Virginia counties out and tried to figure out the family's migration...mainly Minnie Victoria's migration from Washington County and places inbetween. Sometimes when you look at a state's county map, it can give you ideas of where else to look. If she was born in Washington County....look at the surrounding counties..

I like the idea of finding the brother's death certificate.

Totie

05 Jun 2013, 01:51 #9

Did she die in 1949? I would think by this time VA would have better records. Do you have her actual death certificate? I am finding on Ancestry.com that she is buried at St. Johns Lutheran Church in Wytheville, VA. Have you checked the church records?

fallingleaves3

05 Jun 2013, 22:47 #10

You gals are amazing!! I hadn't considered the brother's death certificate or looking at church records or checking maps! I don't have her actual death certificate and have no idea who might have it. Maybe I'll try to order it from vital records. She did die in 1949 and is buried at St. Johns in Wytheville, VA. I've heard that she usually went by Victoria.

I'll have to check a letter my cousin sent me but I believe she told me she had seen a bible that MV had and it had her maiden name as Nuckols. I haven't seen it spelled that way on any other documents. Again, my cousin could be mistaken.

Thank you so much! You've given me a lot to think about and look up! I'll be back soon to let you know if I've had any luck!