More Ideas on Breakng Down Brick Walls

Thanks to Laurie for this idea. I need members' help to keep this current.
hoosierbeth

08 Feb 2013, 14:24 #1

Another prominent researcher, Nancy J Emmert suggests in breaking a brick wall is to look at patterns of migrations that ancestors may have taken, research the other family members to find clues on the ancestor who is the brick wall, and study the census while using the “ten up and ten down” rule. An example of the “ten up and ten down” rule is to look at the ten families above your ancestor in the census and then check the information for the ten families below the ancestor.  Many times a researcher may find the original ancestor’s family members living down the road or with neighbors (Emmert).

Emmert, Nancy J. “Beginning Genealogy Handout.”  Rechtman.com. 1999 Yigal Rechtman.   2 Feb. 2012

hoosierbeth

14 Feb 2013, 15:06 #2

In my researching, I find that networking with others who are researching the same ancestors helps me to break through my brick walls. My philosophy of brick walls is that there is an answer somewhere and it may take many years to find the answer. One of the main components of genealogy is patience. If a researcher does not have the patience to keep moving along and narrowing research avenues, they will never have a fact-based genealogy of their family.

make sure to collect everything accumulated in the search concerning the brickwall

make sure to recheck all records

make sure any transcription is correct

make sure information in the research records is correct

make sure to sort through available resources one by one

make sure to let others look over your research