WAKEFIELD

Nickel

25 Jul 2011, 17:50 #1

Maria WAKEFIELD, dau of Sidney and Philura (CUTLER) WAKEFIELD. 
Tried to sort out our WAKEFIELD's yesterday.  They moved around MA to ME to NH to VT and NY.  One secondary source, a history of Newport NH seems to nail them, and yet the 1850 census for Washington County, Vermont seems to shift their timbers and eliminate a generation.  Silas, the minister in Montpelier, son of Elias and Johanna, is too young in the census to be the father of our Sidney. 
Elias gs is next to Sidney's in the Cutler cemetery.  Confusion about whether Elias is a brother, a father, or grandfather to Sidney is not resolved by their dates.  It is most convenient--with the census largely in view to say that Silas and Sidney are brothers, sons of Elias and Johanna (CUTTING) [Joina in the census] and that they are living with their daughter Matilda who m. John CLARK, instead of their grandaughter. 
Convenient genealogy?  I don't know.  Seems fraught with danger, headed for a genealogist's pet peeve. 

OliviaRose

14 Nov 2011, 21:11 #2

Henry WAKEFIELD (brother of my great grandmother, Maria WAKEFIELD, m1 Simeon PARKER, m2 (unknown) BRUCE.

Born: October 19, 1840
Died: February 19, 1865. gs Cutler Cemetery, E. Montpelier, VT: "A MEMBER OF CO. E. 17th REG. VT. VOLS."
Note:
Also on Henry's gs are Philura C. Templeton, Maria P. Bruce and Charles H. Parker. Charles is my grandfather.

Father: Sidney WAKEFIELD, b. cal May 1808 in Montpelier, Washington County, VT; d. 16 Nov 1852, East Montpelier, Washington County, VT.
Mother: Philura CUTLER, b. 3 Jul 1813 in East Montpelier, Washington County, VT; d. 19 Feb 1904 in East Montpelier, Washington County, VT.

Sister: Maria Wakefield, b. 22 May 1837 in Waitsfield, Washington County, VT; d. 14 Jun 1905 in East Montpelier, Washington County, VT; m. Simeon Parker, b. cal 1828 in Montpelier, Washingon County, VT; d. aft 1880 in Calais, Washington County, VT; ch. Henry W., Raymond C., Doris E.

Sources:

Author: Ralph O. Sturtevant
Title: Pictorial History: Thirteenth Vermont Volunteers, War of 1861-1865.
Published 13inf - wartime and postwar photographs--represents the largest collection of photographs available from an individual regiment.
Text: Wakefield, Henry, enl 8/29/62, m/i 10/10/62, Pvt, Co. C, 13th VVI, wdd, Gettysburg, 7/3/63, m/o 7/21/63; enl again 9/15/63, m/i 3/3/64, Pvt, Co. E, 17th VVI, pow 7/30/64, d/prison 2/20/65, Richmond VA [Salisbury Prison, NC]

Author: Contributor: Tom Ledoux
Title: VermontCivilWar.Org Database,
Text: http://www.vermontcivilwar.org/units/17/

Notes:

Civil War service of units in which Henry served:

Timeline13th Vermont Infantry Battles (Read Month/Day/Year, Battle)

12/28/1862, Fairfax Court House, Va.
7/1/1863, Gettysburg, Penn.
7/2/1863, Gettysburg, Penn.
7/3/1863, Gettysburg, Penn.

Source: VermontCivilWar.Org Database
Contributor: Tom Ledoux.

17th Vermont Infantry

George W. Kingsbury
2nd Lieutenant Amasa O. Gates
1st Sergeant

Organization
Organized and mustered in:
Company "A," January 5, 1864
Companies "B," "C" and "D," March, 1864
Companies "E," "F" and "G," April 12, 1864
[Company E--George S. Robinson, Washington county mostly.
Source: http://www.vermontcivilwar.org/units/17/]

Moved to Alexandria, Virginia, April 18-22, 1864
Attached to 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 9th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to July, 1865

Service
May-June, 1864, Campaign from the Rapidan to the James, Virginia
May 5-7, 1864, Battles of the Wilderness
May 8-12, 1864, Spotsylvania, Virginia
May 12-21, 1864, Spotsylvania Court House
May 12, 1864, Assault on the Salient, Spotsylvania Court House
May 23-26, 1864, North Anna River
May 26-28, 1864, Line of the Pamunkey
May 28-31, 1864, Totopotomoy
June 1-12, 1864, Cold Harbor
June 1-3, 1864, Bethesda Church
June 16-19, 1864, Before Petersburg
June 16, 1864 to April 2, 1865, Siege of Petersburg
July 30, 1864, Mine Explosion, Petersburg

Henry was taken prisoner July 30. He died in prison Feb 20, 1865 in Salisbury, North Carolina.

Authors: Ellen C. Hill and Marilyn S. Blackwell.
Title: Across the Onion. 1983.
Text: Andersonville prison, an unpleasant place, housed Union soldiers before it was even completed. Poor drainage and an inadequate water supply contributed to a macabre atmosphere in which thirteeen thousand men died, 350 of them Vermonters. Some prisoners, such as Mallory, were exchanged. Curtis W. Roscoe died in Andersonville, but John E. Clough, who had enlisted from Williamstowne and who lived the last fifty years of his life in East Montpelier, escaped in 1865 and survived to regale the people of the Center with his tales of war and escape. Children were especilly fond of his stories and brought him flowers in appreciation. He died in 1924 at eighty-three.

Salisbury prison, established in an old cotton mill, was equally loathsome. It housed ten thousand Federal prisoners and six thousand, including Henry Wakefield, died of starvation and disease.

=================================

Exploring the National Archives site, I discovered that I could order photocopies of Henry's military records online.
Delighted to receive them, they are not just his records but blended with his cousins Henry and William's records as well. And, I was sent nothing about his service with the Vermont 13th. I should request the 13th at no additional fee, and I will, most likely.

Googling Henry with the Civil War revealed a Danville Historical Society site with an article by Steven Wakefield who portrays Henry, but his information doesn't exactly match since he says that Henry joined with his brother and my Henry didn't have a brother. The rest sounds like my Henry's service as posted to Vermont in the Civil War. I have to sort the military records I've received. Among them is reported an incident of dissertion, involving McKnight a disserter and friend of Henry Wakefield. I'll transcribe that here, after I get my head around the way family history changes when you look at the actual records. It's in the dates and locations, I'm sure, for there is at a glance overlaps of times and places for the cousins Henry. Why William is also included is a mystery. As I recall cousin Henry and his brother William survived the war. Sharon posted pictures of them from some resource at her disposal.

The envelope of records is in the closet should the spirit move me.

I was hoping to hear from Steve Wakefield with the whole story of who is who, but I may have to do the sleuthing, after all.